Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My General Opinion On A Lot of Things Bookish

Since I seem to read a lot and own a lot of books, people sometimes come up to me and ask what to read next, or what I think of any given book(s). Here are a few general pointers:

1. No. Sydney Sheldon may be great at all the "good" bits but no. You cannot say that "reading books" is your "hobby" if you have only ever read The Other Side of Midnight and/or Rage of Angels. 

2. If your comeback to point 1 is that you have also read something by Chetan Bhagat: one word. Eeeuuuuurrggghhhhhhh. People who like the books, and Chetan Bhagat - no offence. 

3. Vikram Seth. Wonderful. Go and read A Suitable Boy immediately. I can even lend you a copy if you promise not to make it all dog-eared. 

4. If you're in a bad mood, read P.G. Wodehouse. If you're in a good mood and want the fun to go on, go ahead. Read Wodehouse.

5. Harry Potter is pretty good. Eragon is okay too. The Lord of the Rings is better. No, the best.

6. The Twilight "saga" (I'd like to make up a pun here using the Telugu word for stretch - saagu. But I'm afraid it wouldn't translate well. But you get the basic idea, don't you? There you go!). Ditto the Fifty Shades series. But then again, suit yourself. I'm told there are an untold number of fans out there.

7.  Dan Brown. (You were just waiting for this, weren't you?) Sure, take a mish-mash of little-known scientific or wannabe-scientific fields of study, doomsday conspiracies, interesting ways to kill people and dispose of the bodies artistically, end each chapter with a sentence filled with vague promises that the next chapter will be a revelation - and there you have it, a Dan Brown masterpiece. Read The Name of The Rose instead.

8. The Great Gatsby. The operative word here is.. drumroll please... GREAT!

9. Orhan Pamuk is the real stuff. 

10. I'll be putting up reviews pretty often from now on, so keep watching this page! If you don't have the time to go through the whole post just go with the last line. It'll tell you what kind of read the book is - Good, Bad or Worse. 

Happy Reading, everyone!! And me too!!!

3 comments:

  1. I Think 1st two points are meant for me:):)

    Out of 10 points u wrote...Atleast i did the 8th Point successfully:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to follow you in Good reads. Your Username in Goodreads pls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chiru: Thanks!
    @Eshe: Not on Goodreads yet (I'm very sluggish when it comes to joining a social media site). You can follow me right here and subscribe to posts until then!

    ReplyDelete